Botched boot camp install on mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
I was playing around with boot camp on my CD Mini a few months ago.

To make a long story short, the install failed because I stupidly put an XP SP1 disk in to install. Now every time I restart the machine (rarely since its my HTPC) it boots strait to a dos prompt telling me there's no OS installed.

This forces me to plug in a usb keyboard (my bluetooth one won't work), press option, and telling it to boot from Mac HD.

There's no Boot Camp partition anymore, so I don't know why this still comes up.

Any ideas? I'd hate to reinstall the OS for this, if I have to then I'll wait until I swap out the 160gb 5400rpm drive for a 250gb 7200rpm later this summer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was playing around with boot camp on my CD Mini a few months ago.

To make a long story short, the install failed because I stupidly put an XP SP1 disk in to install. Now every time I restart the machine (rarely since its my HTPC) it boots strait to a dos prompt telling me there's no OS installed.

This forces me to plug in a usb keyboard (my bluetooth one won't work), press option, and telling it to boot from Mac HD.

There's no Boot Camp partition anymore, so I don't know why this still comes up.

Any ideas? I'd hate to reinstall the OS for this, if I have to then I'll wait until I swap out the 160gb 5400rpm drive for a 250gb 7200rpm later this summer.

Looks like you might have to wait until this Summer. :Oops: Probably the only way you're going to get rid of that XP boot sector remaining on the drive is to use your Leopard disk and do a reinstall. If you have everything backed up with Time Machine or another utility such as Carbon Copy Cloner, it wouldn't be that much work.

Regards.

OP
Avenger2SER
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like you might have to wait until this Summer. :Oops: Probably the only way you're going to get rid of that XP boot sector remaining on the drive is to use your Leopard disk and do a reinstall. If you have everything backed up with Time Machine or another utility such as Carbon Copy Cloner, it wouldn't be that much work.

Regards.

I was afraid of that, oh well. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Have you tried setting mac os x as the default startup in system preferences?

If that doesn't work please go to terminal and enter:
diskutil list <enter>

Post the results back here.

OP
Avenger2SER
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried setting mac os x as the default startup in system preferences?

If that doesn't work please go to terminal and enter:
diskutil list <enter>

Post the results back here.

I'll try that when I get home, thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.