g5 hard dive question

Reaction score
Hi there, Just brought last night a 2ghz dual g5 which has a 160gb hd. i have in my pc a 320gb sata which should go in but i have alot of photo's and videos on there which i need. do i have to format the drive when i've installed it? or will i be able to use it straight away.

One more thing, i've got another 320gb sata and would like to know if there's a way of fitting that also. i.e 3 drives all together.

Many thanks

craig

Reaction score
I'm no expert - but if you want to run your operating system on the drive you would have to format the drive.

Why not put your spare 320GB SATA in your G5 and format that for your operating system instead?

Then get a firefire or USB encasing, put your old PC 320GB SATA in there and then you can access your photos and vids as an external drive. You could delete the unwanted windows OS stuff on there too.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm no expert - but if you want to run your operating system on the drive you would have to format the drive.

Thanks for the response.. I dont want to run the operating system on it just access the files on it. Does it still have to be formatted?

Reaction score
Oh I see - I thought you were replacing the drive. Well any raw data on there should be pretty much accessible without having to format the drive at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
is your 320g drive NTFS or FAT32 formatted?
osx can only read NTFS drives and cannot write to them
fat32 drives can be read/write from os x
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.