G5 iMac (non intel) running at HD 63°C

Reaction score
Hi,
I just installed a new HD and it's running at 63°C. the performance is fine and there are no overall problems I just noticed the temperature in a new widget I installed which shows the system stats.

The only reason I ask is that my last HD just died and also I had a HD which died almost a year ago and it seemed odd that two drives should go in such a short period of time.

I'm not really using the machine for anything other than emailing and browsing at the moment - although I normally do some photoshop work etc. The only unusual circumstances are that the drive has been running for about 3 solid days doing an online backup (to Mozy.com) which has another 13 days estimated to go!

Just wondering if my system is running too high a temperature which wouldn't be too HD-friendly I suppose!

Would it be best to shut the drive down for a few hours if it's to do with the length of the backup?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It'll be fine.

It's hot because it's working so hard, but then that's what it's supposed to do. If you shut it down for a few hours, it'll just jump back up to 63.

There's no point worrying. Using a hard drive cautiously is like driving around no higher than 30 in case your car doesn't make 100,000 on the clock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.