Uninstall program, is it really uninstalled?

C

code777

Curious, when downloading and installing a program onto your mac how do you "uninstall" a program COMPLETELY.

Like in XP you have to go to uninstall program and then you still had to search out those files left behind and delete them (usually hidden somewhere).

Does Mac OS X work the same way? If i download a program and decide I don't need it and want to "trash" it, after dragging it into trash do I still have to "search the HD" for files that were associated with that program (left behind) and drag them to trash??? Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
some apps come with an uninstaller, if so, use it, if not, delete the app and any folder related to it, in a finder window, in the search area, type te first several letters of the apps name, delete all that comes up. but check the list first for things unrelated starting with the same letters.

OP
C

code777

OK, that is what i figured... thanks.

but what about all those cache files? how do you know what to delete what to save? There seems to be a ton of them in my library. .plist files...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Don't know if it works, but Allume Systems has a tool within their SpringCleaning application that claims the following…

MacUninstaller™ allows the complete removal of software and related files you no longer need or want. You can uninstall any application, package, control panel, or extension.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
plist files usually start with the name of the app that they belong to, as far as caches, the ones that contain most of the apps name should be deleted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.