broke screen trying to hook up externaly

Reaction score
i have a newer macbook intel core 2 2.0 ghz. the screen got cracked so i took it apart and took off the screen. i went to the apple store and got a mini-dvi to dvi adapter and i do not get video.

also can someone tell me *** loud the hd is? i do not heer it reading after i turn it on. it spin.

a guy at the apple store was saying to load mac os on my macbook pro then set it to external display and hook up that hd to the macbook.

any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You took off the screen?! Why on earth?

On another note, do what the man at the apple store tells you, it's the apple store, they know what they're doing.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
i have a newer macbook intel core 2 2.0 ghz. the screen got cracked so i took it apart and took off the screen. i went to the apple store and got a mini-dvi to dvi adapter and i do not get video.

How did your screen crack? In some way that would have also damaged other internal components in your MacBook? You don't get video on what?

also can someone tell me *** loud the hd is? i do not heer it reading after i turn it on. it spin.

Not sure exactly how anyone would convey to you how loud their hard drives are. The sonic quality of drives vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from drive to drive.

On the other hand, the drives in both my MB and my MBP are totally silent. Don't believe I've ever heard a peep from either one of them.

a guy at the apple store was saying to load mac os on my macbook pro then set it to external display and hook up that hd to the macbook.

What? is this another computer you have? a MBP? that you don't already have OS X installed on?

any ideas?

Not really sure, you just are not giving us enough info. Exactly what is it you are wanting to do?

You're wanting to just connect your now screenless Macbook to an external monitor to continue using it?
You're wanting to salvage the data from the hard drive of your MacBook to another computer?
Other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Why would you void the warranty by opening it up? I doubt cracking the screen will be covered by the warranty but it's still good for the other stuff.

OP
J
Reaction score
i took off the screen because im converting it to a desktop. the warranty has been up for a wile. and i do have mac os loaded on my mbp should i through that in? also what if i install mac os on a external drive would that work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
and i do have mac os loaded on my mbp should i through that in?
I don't understand what that means.

also what if i install mac os on a external drive would that work?
Well it's not going to fix the screen. Yes you would be able to boot from a drive with OS X installed.

i took off the screen because im converting it to a desktop.
I still would have left it on and just hooked up an external display. Or if I were going to take it apart I would replace the screen myself.

the warranty has been up for a wile.
Sorry, we just assumed it wouldn't be because you said it was a newer one (implying that it is possibly under one year old).

i do not get video.
Do you mean you get nothing at all when you connect the MacBook to an external monitor?

Have you tried putting the HD into your MacBook Pro to see if it has been damaged? Or using an enclosure and booting the MacBook Pro from it as an external.

OP
J
Reaction score
I don't understand what that means.

1.Well it's not going to fix the screen. Yes you would be able to boot from a drive with OS X installed.

2.I still would have left it on and just hooked up an external display. Or if I were going to take it apart I would replace the screen myself.

3.Sorry, we just assumed it wouldn't be because you said it was a newer one (implying that it is possibly under one year old).

4.Do you mean you get nothing at all when you connect the MacBook to an external monitor?

5.Have you tried putting the HD into your MacBook Pro to see if it has been damaged? Or using an enclosure and booting the MacBook Pro from it as an external.

1. Cool i just wanted to make sure the wardware would be compatable. i know if you tried with a windows pc it would not work.\

2. i figured i would have to take it off to replace it anyways because of the damage to the frame of the screen

3. Im sorry about that i ment neweer as in an intel mac.

4. Yes i get nothing. it could be the dvi cable. i am waiting for a mini dvi to vga to try a vga cable insted.

5. i really love my macbook pro. i dont want to take it apart unless i have to. also i dont have a external sata enclosure. but i might have to. does anyone have a good guide for the mbp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
5. i really love my macbook pro. i dont want to take it apart unless i have to.

Haha. You took off the screen! Doing more damage shouldn't really matter now! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.