Will this Superdrive work as a replacement for my Macbook?

Reaction score
I need to replace the optical drive in my regular old Macbook. All of my research leads me to believe that this drive will work just fine, I'm just looking for further confirmation:

Panasonic UJ-875

I know it will work for a Macbook Pro, I really don't see why it wouldn't work for a Macbook but just wanted further clarification. I don't want to wind up with a glorified paper weight :).

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I think that the 17" Pro has a different drive from the MacBook and the 15" Pro.

The model number on mine (from a 2006 MacBook) is UJ-857-C - this one. That's what I'll be replacing mine with when I've got the cash.

OP
D
Reaction score
I think that the 17" Pro has a different drive from the MacBook and the 15" Pro.

The model number on mine (from a 2006 MacBook) is UJ-857-C - this one. That's what I'll be replacing mine with when I've got the cash.

You're absolutely right! The drive I initially posted is actually a 12mm drive, Macbook's use a 9mm drive. I picked the UJ-857-C in person and replaced it. It works well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Fab, I'll make sure I get one of those when the time comes!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.