my internet is slow

Reaction score
I've got a new iMac (2.6,4gbram) that I trying to connect through wireless n on a netgear router... I can connect fine and some sites (apple updates and windows updates) I was downloading at about 500kbps but when i browse random sites the internet is awful slow and sometimes doesn't even work...firefox is ok but safari is horrible...any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I have had the same problem (same router too). My net used to be great, however - I updated my mac software about a month or two ago and since it has been real slow. Sometimes dropping the connection every 10 seconds.

As of yet, no fix. It seems to "work when it wants". Any idea how you roll back the update?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
If download speed such as a speed test is high but web sites load poorly that is probably a DNS server issue. You could try to use different DNS servers and see if that helps at all. Free service from opendns is a good one that I use.

Also since you mention you are using wireless I would have you check the channel you are using and ensure your neighbors are not on the same channel or within 6 channels of it. If you are on channel 6 (most likely you are given the brand of router) then change the channel to channel 1 or 11 and give that a shot. You will get less interference and more bandwidth if you arent on the same channels as other nearby wireless signals.

Also if you are using 802.11n you could go for 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz. If your router supports it. That removes the issue completely as long as most of your neighbors arent on 5ghz as well. And chances are they are not.

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm getting 3 megs on the speed test so its not a bandwith issue it has to be something else any ideas

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.