• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Care Plan Protection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
160gb iPod, G4 Powerbook, 30 Gb iPod, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4ghz, 250gb HD 4gbRam, 3G Apple iPhone
Hi, is buying the apple care plan worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Short answer, yes.

Please search this, you will probably find pages of topics about applecare.

Reaction score
It's a good idea considering how much it can cost to fix a computer. I'd definitely go for it if you have a laptop.

You can purchase Apple Care at any point within the first year of purchase. That can give you some time to save up the money if needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If you are considering an iMac, I would say that it is worth it. There have been a few reports here in Mac Forums of troubles with the screens. I very nearly bought a new iMac (went instead for this Mac Pro), and very definitely planned to get AppleCare for that very reason. I would recommend it.

For a Mini or a Mac Pro, I don't think it is necessary.

For laptops... I didn't get it when I got my MBP, but I can see that it might have been of value. If anything goes wrong with that MBP, I will regret having not purchased it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Just bought it for my macbook (two weeks before first year was up!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Don't leave the Apple Store without it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.