• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I think I'm involved in a bit of a scam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I saw one of those dodgy sounding job adverts and was kinda curious as to what they would actually say, so I emailed asking for more details.

'Mary' replied saying that she worked for the Light Of Hope Foundation, and was looking for people to help process donations. She sent an application form (name, address, marital status, not much else), so I fill it out, email it back. She then sent me one wanting to confirm that I would 'process' the 'donations', keep 10% for myself and forward the rest. I thought I was getting in a bit deep here and didn't reply.

That was a couple of weeks ago.

But today I got a cheque for £3000. And I'm pretty darn sure it's a real cheque.

What the heck do I do now?

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I mean, I used a semi-fake address, but the postman still found me, lied about my age and haven't given her any other personal details at all. Used a fake phone number.

She gave me addresses for the UK and US offices, and both addresses exist, don't know if there's actually an office there though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I have heard that these scams send 'real' checks but are still fake.

419 scams they are called?

I wouldn't cash that check if I were you, if it is fake, it is your fault AFAIK.

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, that's what I was thinking...

I mean, do I report it to the police or what though? Just leave it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
That's definitely a scam, and a pretty obvious one by the sound of it. So, they send you a check, you cash into your account, and send 90% of it to someone else from your own account? What is the purpose of that? Why do they need to send it to you when they could just send it directly to whoever you're sending it to? What happens is you send them the money, the check bounces a week later, and you're out 3 grand.

I would definitely report it. If they intend to make money off you on this scam, there must be some way to track them. I'd hand it to the police, tell them the whole story, and do whatever I could to bring scum like that to justice before they end up tricking some old lady out of her life savings.

Now, if the deposed king of Nigeria contacts you directly, well that's a whole other story! ;)

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's definitely a scam, and a pretty obvious one by the sound of it. So, they send you a check, you cash into your account, and send 90% of it to someone else from your own account? What is the purpose of that? Why do they need to send it to you when they could just send it directly to whoever you're sending it to? What happens is you send them the money, the check bounces a week later, and you're out 3 grand.

I would definitely report it. If they intend to make money off you on this scam, there must be some way to track them. I'd hand it to the police, tell them the whole story, and do whatever I could to bring scum like that to justice before they end up tricking some old lady out of her life savings.

Now, if the deposed king of Nigeria contacts you directly, well that's a whole other story! ;)

That or it's money laundering. I'll give the police a ring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
whatever you got is not a CHECK. Its called DEMAND DRAFT or MONEY ORDER.

If you stick this in the bank, they are supposed to pay you right away. If you want confirmation, stick it in your bank account, you will see your bank balance go up right away....Wait for few days and the bank will take that money back from your account and tell you that its a fake DD.

Its a classic 419 scam but a little smarter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its a standard check scam

You can cash it but it will eventually bounce, they will be pestering you for their share in the meantime - before the dud check it discovered.

At best you get charged for a dud cheque, at worst you have kept 10% of 300 and sent a cheque to them for the rest. They will cash your cheque leaving you 3000 out of pocket and technically part of a fraud attempt on the bank.

Go to the site www.419eater.com and report it there on the forum - they may be able to help more in tracking and reporting those scammers

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i love that site louishen - fist thing i thought of when i read the title of the thread. ;)

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ended up sticking the cheque on my wall and leaving it there...

Today I received US$2000 in Visa travellers cheques. With watermark and hologram. I'm thinking fake or stolen or otherwise not legit... gonna take them to the bank and see what they say.

Reaction score
Think about what they are doing: they say they can't send checks to charities, but they can send checks to you?

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it's clearly some class of cow-plop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
You are definitely the money mule in a mail fraud scam. Here in the US, your best place to go with this information would be http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/ and/or the FBI. I don't know enough about the UK's Law Enforcement community to tell you exactly where to go with this evidence, but you might find a good link here: http://www.met.police.uk/reporting_crime/index.htm

Good luck, and don't get tempted. You'll be out a lot of money.

Perry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
Good for you in spotting this scam in the first place! If enough people did research on these things or just asked people then we would all be better off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Glad you were not tempted, while it is almost certain that the criminals will never be caught, the fact that you posted on here may mean some of us mac users will not get taken in by this too good to be true scam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.