how to create new folder within folder in finder

Reaction score
How can I create a new folder within a folder in the finder window? This is something I always did in Windows, but Mac X won't allow this. Mac X places new folders at the very bottom of my folder list, which means I have to go find it then move it all the way where I want it, which sometimes involves opening two finder windows. What a pain. I'd like to be able to highlight a folder in finder and create a new folder within that folder period.
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
How can I create a new folder within a folder in the finder window? This is something I always did in Windows, but Mac X won't allow this. Mac X places new folders at the very bottom of my folder list, which means I have to go find it then move it all the way where I want it, which sometimes involves opening two finder windows. What a pain. I'd like to be able to highlight a folder in finder and create a new folder within that folder period.
thanks

Firstly, if you want to create a new folder in finder, for instance, in home folder in documents, click documents, then click file/new folder/name folder and you are done!
I don't see a major issue, which takes all of 1-2 second to do.... certainly not a pain!
Secondly, it is a mac, not windows (phew), and being disappointed that it doesn't behave like windows is not really appropriate, as it is a mac, and more than likely why you use a mac.
There are so many ways to create and move things around on a mac, and if ever unsure, create folders on the desktop, do what you want with them, and then move them to your desired locations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'd like to be able to highlight a folder in finder and create a new folder within that folder period.

No can do. Open the folder that you want to create a new folder in, then File > New Folder or Shift-Command-N. Or, as the post below mentions, right click (or command-click)...

Where it goes in your finder window depends on what you have Arrange By set to. Command-Click or right click on the window and hover over Arrange By. Pick what you want from the list. :)

Reaction score
thanks

I'm not sure what you mean. When I create a new folder within a folder, I right click, and then I go to "New Folder". Finder creates a new folder right there and then. So what is the problem again?

Reaction score
Hi, I agree this is a pain, but there is a solution: in finder, you have first to double-click the directory within which you want to create the new one. Once you are inside, right-click and select "new directory". The new directory will be created there :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Mac X places new folders at the very bottom of my folder list, which means I have to go find it then move it all the way where I want it, which sometimes involves opening two finder windows. What a pain.

I think that depends on two things:
What View is the Finder Window set to? (There are four choices.)
What is Arrange By set to? Or, how are the files ordered?

Arrange By applies to Icon View. Files can be ordered by any of the columns displayed, "frontwards" or "backwards".

I just changed one of my Icon View Windows to List View and created a new folder called "Bobby". As soon as I finished typing the name, the new folder jumped up to the number two slot in the list. That's because the List was ordered alphabetically, Z to Z.

The problem is not the Finder. It is a User unfamiliar with how the Finder works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.