Mac Mini as a server?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
I currently have a pair of servers in the loft - both reasonably spec'd tower PCs a bit past their prime. One acts as a backup server for my Windows workstation and laptop which backup to it daily - the theory being that if someone breaks in and steals my computer equipment while I'm out, then they won't think to get the ladder out and clamber into the loft, so at least my data is safe ;D The other 'server' hosts a very small website, plus VibeStreamer so I can listen to my music collection over the web. Both run Windows 2003 Server as I'm lucky enough to have a volume license, although as an OS it's complete overkill for my needs.

I was thinking maybe I should buy a Mac Mini, hook it up to a 1Tb external USB drive and go with that as a backup server & web server? It'll use less power than the two servers which I can donate to my nephews & nieces, and it'll probably be bit a bit more friendly towards my Mac Pro. Question is then, can I find a Mac equivalent to VibeStreamer?

Does that sound like a sensible plan? Essentially the thing will be left running unattended 24x7 to do it's thing, with me remotely connecting every once in a while to see if Software Update needs to do anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The only reservation I'd have with that setup is the transformer power supply for the external drive. You'd need to make sure it was a good quality supply that was designed to run 24x7.
Many transformers/PSUs that come with externals are pretty cheap and nasty.

OP
rob.h
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point about the PSU's - hadn't thought of that. One of the servers currently has a Freecom 400Gb USB drive attached and the power supply on that runs very hot indeed. Problem with many of these external devices is that you don't find out how good the little transformers are until you've bought the thing.

That SimplifyMedia software looks interesting, I shall check it out.

Cheers.

OP
rob.h
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found what looks like the perfect partner for my Mac Mini 'server' ...

miniStack V3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.