Keyboard as Midi input

Reaction score
Hi there,

I want to use my oldschool keyboard (Yamaha PSR 740) as a MIDI device for programs like Absynth 4, Akoustik Piano and Garageband. I got a Xmidi 1x1 cable (MIDI to USB) and when I connect it to my MacBook, Garageband tells me it has found a new MIDI device. But when i play some keys nothin happens. Is it a software issue? Where do I need to change something?
Oh and an additional question: In Absynth 4 on Windows there was a record button, where is it in de Macversion?
Thanks alot for any help :)

PS. I'm a novice in using mac O:)

Reaction score
Try plugging the midi plug that is labelled "Out" into the "In" socket of your keyboard, and the "In" plug into the "Out" socket.

Seriously - this isn't a prank, it's what made mine finally work.

Another tip: when you're testing this, don't bother playing back a track you've saved inside the digital piano - the Mac still doesn't "hear" those for some reason (don't know why yet), but it will hear fresh notes you press on the keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.