Turn inbuilt screen off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D Glossy
Hey i was wondering if there was like a shortcut button to just turn the in built screen off on mac. i usually just wait ten minutes until it goes to sleep. Sometimes i would like the screen left on and others (like when i sleep) would like to be able to press a button and have just the screen sleep not the whole comp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Go to System Preferences and click Energy Saver, below put the computer to sleep and its bar, there is someting for put the display to sleep

OP
uncle sam
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah i have seen that, sorry i wasn't clear i was after an actual shortcut button or command that will instantly put the screen to sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
I'm sure you could write an applescript for it!

I'm working on learning AppleScript. It's a very easy language to learn, and is very useful for simpifying repetitive things on the computer.

Although, once Tiger comes out, you will no longer need to know applescript, because of the automator!

OP
uncle sam
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help, think applescript might be a bit complicated for me, but yeah i might just wait till tiger comes out wont be that long anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Or just dim the screen (F1)..
That's what I do when I'm watching DVD's hooked up to an external display..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Graphite 500MHz G3, 640 MB Ram
I don't know if this is the same on OSX or whatever OS you are using, but command-shift-zero works for me on OS9.

M

m1k

I don't know if this is the same on OSX or whatever OS you are using, but command-shift-zero works for me on OS9.

Nope, he's running OS X (as far as I can tell, because of the model/etc), and that shortcut doesn't work in OS X, I tried it :(

Thanks anyways, though.

OP
uncle sam
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the replys yeah i am running OS X so that shortcut doesn't work F1 doesn't seem to dim the screen either is there something i am not doing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
??

On my ibook I have a little sun icon on the f1 & f2 keys.

Pressing them will dim the screen.

f3,f4,f5 have shortcuts for volume controls...

Not the case with you?? Go to system preferences, keyboard and mouse and make sure there is no check in the 'Use F keys for custom commands' dialogue...

OP
uncle sam
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope dont have the sun icon and i have gone through heaps of shortcut keys, (found some really nifty ones) but none that sleep the screen. did you know that if you hold shift and minimize it goes in slow motion!! soo cool (not used to the little mac extras, windows you got nothin).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow, that is cool (the slowmotion thing...)

Oh, you're using a emac...I suppose only the portables have the screen dimming shortcut...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.