• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Consumer Reports: 1 in 5 laptops has a major repair issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9938550-1.html

I thought this was an interesting report, because if I had to guess this number it wouldn't have been anywhere near this high. I probably would have went with 10% or less. All of the major laptop makers were surveyed and they all came within 3 percentage points, which is pretty insignificant according to the article. I'm also surprised all the makers came so close within one another.

Reaction score
You know its funny that apple at the top, some of it i believe is that people will actually go get there apple repaired compared to other brands when they break i just see the people go out and buy another.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That's what you get when you have only a handful of companies making every laptop out there.

Reaction score
That seems really high. I mean, my HD went on me. But I wouldnt consider that major. Whats "major" here? And its almost understandable, I mean, they are packing quite a bit of sensitive stuff within a very small space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Teh Artical said:
The chart shows data from about 75,000 laptops purchased between 2003 and 2007

Looks like the iBook G3 issues are still plaguing Apple's score.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It stands to reason. A desktop and laptop of similar performance work quite differently. The laptop internals, such as HDD, video cards etc being a reduced size need to do more work for the same result.

More work equals faster failure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
As Kash said, the parts are being made by only a few companies. Apple uses much of the same parts as Dell, HP, etc. So, I am really not that surprised.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.