More HD memory or faster drive speed?

Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing (customizing) a macbook pro and am stuck on one decision...
250Gb at 5400 or 200Gb at 7200
Is a drive speed of 7200 significantly faster than 5400? I'd hate to give up space for a slight difference in speed.
I'm probably going overboard with the MBP....but, am getting it anyway....will be basically surfing the web, keeping up with home finances/correspondence, storage of music, storage of home video, and storage of photos (with occasionally some editing).
Please advise! Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am in the process of purchasing (customizing) a macbook pro and am stuck on one decision...
250Gb at 5400 or 200Gb at 7200
Is a drive speed of 7200 significantly faster than 5400? I'd hate to give up space for a slight difference in speed.
I'm probably going overboard with the MBP....but, am getting it anyway....will be basically surfing the web, keeping up with home finances/correspondence, storage of music, storage of home video, and storage of photos (with occasionally some editing).
Please advise! Thanks!

For what you'll be using the MacBook Pro for, I would go for the larger hard drive and more memory. As a matter of fact if you intend to store photos, videos, music, and so forth, you might also consider purchasing a large external hard drive to go with the MPB. The external drive can be used as a backup device for Time Machine and also for storage.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
That's what I figured. My current computer (pc) is very slow so I am obsessed with getting a faster and more powerful computer! I want to max it out!!
I am considering purchasing an external hard drive, but also have yet to make a decision on this....am researching LaCie, Iomega, and Time Capsule. Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Glossy Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 30gb iPod Video
will be basically surfing the web, keeping up with home finances/correspondence, storage of music, storage of home video, and storage of photos (with occasionally some editing).

For those types of usage, the difference in HDD speed will not be noticable... and you will want more HDD space instead. :) The extra 50gb might come in handy someday!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5/15.4/4G/250G/
I cant wait until someone comes out with a 500gig 2.5" drive that will fit in my 15.4 housing. As soon as that's here Im going to Apple swap it out for me.

Or maybe a WD320 7200 drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.4, 4g Ram
Why not get the new Hitachi Travelstar 7k320. 7200 rpm, 320GB drive. It just started shipping, so should see it for sale soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
I think you should go for the 2.4Ghz model and upgrade the HD.

Reaction score
External HD

That's what I figured. My current computer (pc) is very slow so I am obsessed with getting a faster and more powerful computer! I want to max it out!!
I am considering purchasing an external hard drive, but also have yet to make a decision on this....am researching LaCie, Iomega, and Time Capsule. Any advice?

I would be very interested to know what you end up choosing.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well.....I think I'm ready to order! Thanks for all the advice. I really don't know a whole lot about computers....only what I've read over the last few days (and I still don't understand a lot of it)! Here are the specs:
15", 2.6Ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB (5400) hard drive, matte screen
Maybe when I get a little more tech savvy, I'll consider customizing myself....but, for now I'm ordering straight from the Apple website because I want it dropped on my front doorstep ready to go! (And, I admit, it's a Mother's Day/Birthday gift....so I spared no expense!)
Now.....hmmm.....to decide on an external hard drive.....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well.....I think I'm ready to order! Thanks for all the advice. I really don't know a whole lot about computers....only what I've read over the last few days (and I still don't understand a lot of it)! Here are the specs:
15", 2.6Ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB (5400) hard drive, matte screen
Maybe when I get a little more tech savvy, I'll consider customizing myself....but, for now I'm ordering straight from the Apple website because I want it dropped on my front doorstep ready to go! (And, I admit, it's a Mother's Day/Birthday gift....so I spared no expense!)
Now.....hmmm.....to decide on an external hard drive.....

Happy Mother's Day and Happy Birthday! :D You made a good choice.

Fortunately, large external hard drives have really come down in price. Buy the largest you can afford and have fun.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.