Apple iBook G3 300 MHZ - 3GB - 160 MB RAM

S

Supachicken

Hello,

I am considering purchasing an iBook to to some word processing work and I wanted to know if this model would be capable of running OSX as I would have it networked on a windows 2003 network and also I would need to run Microsoft Office for Mac, I would also be keen to find out the expected battery life on them. Here is the specs for the iBook - I can get it for $350AUD

Processor: 300 MHZ
Memory (RAM): 160 MB SD-RAM
Storage (Hard Disk Drive): 3 GB
Optical device: CD-Rom
Modem: Built-in
Network: Built-in
Sound: Built-in
Display: 12 inch TFT Display
Battery: Li-Ion*
AC Adaptor: Yoyo
Operating System: OS9
Carry bag: None
Recovery CD: Yes
Speakers: Built-in
Microphone: Built-in
TV Out port: None
VGA out port: None
Parallel Port: None
Serial Port: None
USB port: 1 Built-in
3.5 inch 1.44 floppy drive: None
IR port: None
SCSI Port: None
Firewire: None
1 Month Warranty

I am looking forward to your feedback :headphone

Regards,
David.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, ipod nano, ipod video and a whole lotta love
how much is 350 aud in american? that might help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
oo5yolo10 said:
how much is 350 aud in american? that might help

There's gotta be something there, but I can't figure out what the cost of the iBook has to do with running OS X.

Yes, it can run OS X. From what I've read it runs better with Panther than with previous OS X releases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
The machine itself will run OS X quite happily (and immdb stated, Panther will offer the best performance). However, I would definitely recommend upgrading both the hard drive and the RAM. The 3 GB drive will be barely adequate to install OS X and Office onto and still have enough space left over for OS X's swap file. Also, 160 MB will again be barely adequate to run OS X and ideally you'd have at least 256 MB (the more you can afford to install, the better). As far as battery life, I don't know Apple's quoted figures from that machine, but on an older notebook such as this, it's very possible that the battery won't hold the same charge that it once did, so you might want to looking into purchasing a new battery if battery life is a primary concern.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.