10.5 Installing Issues, Help!

Reaction score
First off, sorry if this belongs in the OSX section. I'm guessing the issue is my PowerMac and not the Leopard CD so I put it here instead, I guess mods can move it if I made a mistake. Anyway...

Here is my problem:

- I have a Leopard CD
- I put it in my PowerMac G5 (Specs in Signature)
- Boot from CD (By holding "C" on Boot-up)
- The Apple Logo comes up on screen (Same one that comes up when you first boot into OSX regularly), I hear the DVD spinning in the drive at this time.
- After about a minute, all the sudden, all the fans start blowing at FULL blast, the disk drive seems to stop spinning, and the screen just stays at the Apple Logo without doing anything.

I have let it sit there with the fans blowing obnoxiously hard, with seemly no response from the machine for at least two minutes before. I have tried to install at least a few times and the same thing happens.

Also, I have run the data on the CD through DiskUtility and everything verifies.

Also, just in case anyone was wondering. The machine has OSX Tiger installed and runs fine, the SuperDrive has never had an issue reading or writing, and I have tried installing on the disk with 10.4 as well as a blank HDD. Although most of that is probably irrelevant because I have yet to get past the "White/Grey Apple Logo" Boot-Screen.

Kinda wondering why this is happening and if there is anything I can do to fix it, any ideas?

Thanks in Advance.

OP
B
Reaction score
Any other ideas? Ahhh, I want me some leopard!

Like... Is there any reason something like this would happen? I'm pretty technology inclined and am just not really getting this at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Had the machine an OS on it when you purchased it and assume you have the retail install DVD and not a model specific such as an iMac Leopard disc? Don't like to worry you but the blowing fans full force is usually a sign of power/logic problems which is why AHT is a vital piece of equipment.

Do a Google on G5 PowerMac problems and for starters try this fix from Apple:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300341

OP
B
Reaction score
Had the machine an OS on it when you purchased it and assume you have the retail install DVD and not a model specific such as an iMac Leopard disc? Don't like to worry you but the blowing fans full force is usually a sign of power/logic problems which is why AHT is a vital piece of equipment.

Do a Google on G5 PowerMac problems and for starters try this fix from Apple:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300341

The Leopard Disk is standard Retail, not model specific. And yes the computer shipped with Tiger and came with no disks. Never had any kind of an issue with it the whole time I've had it (Almost a year?).

And I already reset the SMU based on what Apple said to do for my model and it did nothing.

OP
B
Reaction score
Oh... This sucks. lol. Thanks for the help. Anyone else that has any ideas please don't hesitate to comment, I could use it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.