disk utility & ext.HD problem

L

Lutonian

When I run disk utility and repair permissions with the iMac HD everything verifies and repairs fine, when I try to repair my external 250 Lacie HD this message appears:

Verifying volume “Luton 250GB”
1 volume checked
0 HFS volumes verified
1 volume failed verification

Verify volume failed with error Could not unmount disk (-10000)
and a pop up box says "this disk could not be unmounted"..

whats the problem here? how can i fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
I think this will work on an external drive.
Insert the Mac OS X CD and restart your computer while pressing the C key. Choose Open Disk Utility from the Installer menu, then click First Aid to repair the disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
true, also check the connection between the external hd and the mac to make sure its clean and secure. but basically, mount the external, insert os install disk 1, shut down your mac, start up holding down c key on keyboard, after thats up, click installer next to the apple, and select open disk utility, the external will be in the list on the list.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can not repair permissions on the external disk, Since there is no way for the application to know what permissions you the end user set them too. you can repair the disk, but not permissions.

OP
D

demos-o

rman said:
You can not repair permissions on the external disk, Since there is no way for the application to know what permissions you the end user set them too. you can repair the disk, but not permissions.

actually, i think you can repair and verify them, but only if the external disk is a bootable firewire disk. i have a full backup of my drive done with carboncopycloner and i am able to repair permissions. not sure if i used the install cd or did it booted from my internal drive.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You are not repairing permissions on the external drive, but the contents. Which happens to be another OS X system. When I say external, I mean a data disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.