Mac To Linux Switchers Guide?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Ok so I installed Mandriva Linux on my Mac to dual boot and have been having some problems with things like installing wifi drivers and what not, so if anyone could help me out and/or give me a switchers guide that would be great. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
Ok so I installed Mandriva Linux on my Mac to dual boot and have been having some problems with things like installing wifi drivers and what not, so if anyone could help me out and/or give me a switchers guide that would be great. :)

1. download, compile and install ndiswrapper
2. download the driver from Lenovo (Thinkpad T60 drivers)
3. if the driver is in a self-extracting .exe archive, wine can probably run it!
4. install the driver (ndiswrapper -i net5416.inf)
5. setup the network using Drakconnect

I found the instructions here http://www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/MandrivaOnMacBookPro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Man, they're still using ndis wrappers to try and force wireless to work? Always been a kludgy, and semi-successful method.

OP
The Vindicat3d
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Okay, real noob question here, how do I compile something or make a tarball?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
you'll need gcc to compile (do a which gcc to make sure it's there), man tar should give you all the info you need to make a tarball. The general command is tar -cvf filename.tar directoryToBeTard

You can compile and tar on mac too ;) you'll need to install xcode or the compiler.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Moved to correct forum...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
Man, they're still using ndis wrappers to try and force wireless to work? Always been a kludgy, and semi-successful method.

Yeah, I almosted ended my post with NDIS wrapper is a bit of a cheat, but what are you going to do.

I am not 100% sure about this, but I think that Ubuntu/Ubuntu forums has a how-to for Airport cards that doesn't use ndiswrapper.

T

tux08902

This is one reason I went for a MacBook Pro. I refuse to use Windows for everything other than gaming. I need it to be Unix-based, but as much Linux and BSD outstandingly support desktop hardware, laptop/mobile hardware support is crap. Choices for compatible laptops are quite limited. Apple laptops don't have that problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.