Can I use my Time Machine USB drive as extra storage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
Hi everyone!

I'm a new switcher from the Windows world, and extremely excited about my first Mac! Although the switch has been a little rough (lost all of my home videos when deleting a partition...), I have one question that I've been trying to find an answer to.

I am currently using an external 200GB USB hard drive as my Time Machine disk and would like to use the free space on the external disk as I please. If I copy something to the root of the external drive, and boot up Time Machine, it just sits and prepares the backup.

Can I not use the extra space?
Thanks!
Andre

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I think the best way to make use of that extra space would be to partition the drive you are using as a time machine.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
I think the best way to make use of that extra space would be to partition the drive you are using as a time machine.

I getcha. The last time I messed with some partitions in OSX, I deleted a partition that was going to be used for an XP Boot Camp, and ended up deleting all of my home movies.

Is it possible to partition this external drive even though there is a month or so of backups already sitting on it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.