Is RAM or VRAM more important?

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at buying the new-gen MacBook Pro 15" but am unsure whether I should go with the 2.4 Ghz, 256 Mb nVidia, and 4 Gb RAM or the 2.5 Ghz, 512 Mb nVidia, and 2 Gb RAM. I'm planning on using this as a Multimedia computer doing audio recording, video editing, and graphic art. I'll most likely be using such programs as Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, etc. I'm not really planning on any 3D modeling or gaming on this laptop. Anyone know if having more RAM or more VRAM would be better for this setup? I've looked everywhere but all I can find on VRAM is info on gaming benchmarks. Any help would be great. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5/15.4/4G/250G/
In a perfect world you'd get both (4g and 512vr) as I did. Between the two, Id say get the RAM.

Newegg as it for a good price.

TB

Reaction score
I'd get the model with 512mb vram and upgrade the ram at a later date, if cost is an issue. You can't ever upgrade your video memory, where as a RAM upgrade is cheap and easy to do yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
I bought the 2.4 with 256mb geforce 8600gt, and picked up 4gb ram for maybe $80 from newegg. 256mb is more than adequate for even your most demanding 3d apps. I use Final Cut 6 and Motion 2 regularly, and the system really kicks.

Save some money and go with the 2.4ghz.

Reaction score
I bought the 2.4 with 256mb geforce 8600gt, and picked up 4gb ram for maybe $80 from newegg. 256mb is more than adequate for even your most demanding 3d apps. I use Final Cut 6 and Motion 2 regularly, and the system really kicks.

Save some money and go with the 2.4ghz.

I agree.

And to just answer your question, RAM. However, you can always add RAM for cheap later so the answer might not just be one word.

Eitherway, you'll have a great machine. Wish I could afford that, lol.

OP
N
Reaction score
Sweet thanks for all the help! Way more informative than "512 Mb VRAM rocks for Quake 4" which is basically all the info I could find. I'll prob end up going with the 512 Mb VRAM and 2 Gb RAM since it sounds like upgrading RAM later is pretty cheap. I plan on using this computer for a few years so having extra VRAM just in case prob wouldn't hurt. Thanks again for your help :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.