• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Is it renting video?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.8G, 24", 2 gig ram and it feels good
If I get movies from iTunes, are they mine forever or am I just renting them? Do I get them for a certain amount of time & poof their gone or what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If I get movies from iTunes, are they mine forever or am I just renting them? Do I get them for a certain amount of time & poof their gone or what?

http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/

Movies

Your favorite digital music store is also your favorite digital movie theater. Buy or rent hot new releases,1 best sellers, and library titles. Every movie you download from the iTunes Store plays at 640-by-480 resolution2 that looks great on your computer, iPod, iPhone, and TV.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I bought some movies on iTunes, can I transfer them to DVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I believe those movies have some sort of DRM on them, which would keep you from burning them on DVD in order to play on a regular DVD player. However, I believe you can burn them onto a data disc for backup purposes.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe those movies have some sort of DRM on them, which would keep you from burning them on DVD in order to play on a regular DVD player. However, I believe you can burn them onto a data disc for backup purposes.

Hmm, kinda crappy. I downloaded some stuff for my kid & I wanted to move it to dvd so I can let her play it elsewhere besides my Mac. Oh well, I know not to buy any more movies.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.