OS X Installation Disc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
If I were to insert the Mac Os X Panther installation disc that came with my g5, into an iBook G4 with 10.2, would I be able to install panther?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
does it say g5 on the disk, or is it just black with the X like the panther disks?

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
No. And that would be violating the license. Which is bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
The restore disc 1 of 2 that came with my G4 iBook installs Panther on my G4 desktop. It isn't the black Panther disc, just the grey restore dvd.

Now, it may have changed on the G5, but I doubt it. I say that it will install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
true, but besides violating the license agreement, it also installs things that are hardware specific, like firmware, in which case, youd end up having your mac screw up in one way or another, like repeatitive corrupt OS installations. I've seen it happen:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Macman said:
true, but besides violating the license agreement, it also installs things that are hardware specific, like firmware, in which case, youd end up having your mac screw up in one way or another, like repeatitive corrupt OS installations. I've seen it happen:mac:

As far as violating the license agreement… that's something that ApplejustWorks has to deal with, not me. ApplejustWorks asked if it would work, not if it was legal.

I've not seen a problem using the restores from other systems. I've been running my Desktop G4 using my iBook restore dvd for 3 weeks with no problems at all. I did the same thing with Jaguar without a problem. If it installed hardware specific files… not a problem here.

I believe that the installer would reject the "install" if it was hardware specific. OS 9 installers did just that.

ApplejustWorks, I say backup your system and try it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.