Running out of HD space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro, 2.26ghz, 2GB RAM; 17" IMAC G5, 160 GB HD, 2.5 GB RAM, built in iSight,
So I bought my iMac G5 a little over two years ago, and it came with a 160gb hard drive. Well we just recently had a baby and my wife is very picture happy. The hard drive is filling up very fast now. I am currently running Leopard and backing up using time machine. I work as a desktop support tech, but work with PC's all day, and normally when I want to upgrade a HD on a PC I will pull a ghost image and save that on an external drive, replace the HD in the computer and then restore the image back onto the new HD, that way ALL my programs and data are just transferred from one HD to another, and it's a very easy and effecient way to do it. Now with my iMac i have no clue, I can't seem to find a ghost program for the Mac, and I also don't have any idea how to open up the case to get the HD out. I love my mac, but I need to get this figured out so that I don't run out of HD space. What do you all recommend? Is there any ghost program out there that will do what I want? How do I open up the case on the iMac? Thanks for all the help.

OP
VTX1800
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro, 2.26ghz, 2GB RAM; 17" IMAC G5, 160 GB HD, 2.5 GB RAM, built in iSight,
Thanks, that's really good info, do you or anyone else know if SuperDuper will create an equivelant of a ghost of the HD so that when I replace the new HD it will reinstall the OS and all the programs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
yeah, superduper does a superduper job. we use it here at work to back up all the systems on our machines onto external HDs. even if your main computer goes out, you can boot up from the external. it basically makes a mirror of your host computer and updates that mirror on whatever schedule you give it. i believe ours updates every other day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.