Javascript and Frames problem in Safari

H

HarrySpier

Dear list members,

The following problem only occurs in Safari on the Mac. (I'm using OS-X 10.3 and I've just upgraded to 10.3.6) The problem doesn't occur on the PC or on the Mac with Netscape, IE, or Firefox.

A page on my website is a frameset that consists of a main frame and several smaller control frames. Executing Javascript in the smaller control frames loads content into the main frame by changing its location property.

For example:
control frame 1:
<script>
. . .
parent.mainFrame.document.location = page1;
</script>

But in Safari after I've done this once, if I execute another javascript statement to again change the location property of the main frame it doesn't work.

I.e. after executing the above javascript in control frame 1 if I then execute the following javascript in control frame 2 it does nothing.

control frame 2:
<script>
. . .
parent.mainFrame.document.location = page2;
</script>

This problem only occurs in Safari, not in the other browsers. In the other browsers I can keep loading pages into the main frame by changing its location property from the smaller control frames.

I've tried clearing the cache but this doesn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas how to either fix the problem or get around it.

Many thanks,
Harry

OP
R

RobDreugan

it might help to actually show the page.

I'm just don't understand why yer using frames :p

OP
H

HarrySpier

ChicoWeb said:
Why frames?

Its a digital library application. A digitized page of a book is loaded into the main frame and the control frames control viewing options and switching back to indexes of books. This allows the control options to always be viewable as the user pages thru a book etc.

Harry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.