Do ibooks crash often?

C

crispeto

I've had occasional crashes with my winxp laptop and desktop. I've heard macs are hard to crash. Have any of you had many freeze ups?

Reaction score
Only crashes i've had were due to cheap and nasty RAM, keep it kosher and you'll be fine.

OP
M

m1k

The only crash I've ever had was with Word 2k4, which is by Microsoft. Stay away from Office 2k4 suite and your Mac shouldn't ever crash.

Don't listen to Absolute Zero, he's always high on something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've had mine for about 4 months now it's NEVER crashed....

OP
U

UnderOath

baggss said:
I've had mine for about 4 months now it's NEVER crashed....

way to knock on wood! I'm so excited about getting away from the blue screen you have no idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
To be fair, I just got an ibook after being an exclusive PC user for the last 7 years. XP is pretty stable and if anything software crashes but not the OS. I have already had programs crash on this guy. Nothing major but not surprising either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Let me add that I have had Apps crash or lock up, but nothing that has brought the whole OS down. That has really only happened twice on Desktop, and both times it was a profile problem.

Reaction score
Computer.Geek said:
XP is pretty stable and if anything software crashes but not the OS. .

I concur, if you have quality hardware and all the latest updates, XP is pretty stable.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
m1k said:
Don't listen to Absolute Zero, he's always high on something.
Well look at this. I don't say a thing, don't show up for days, and already you are telling people not to listen to what I say, when I don't even comment. Just go away if you don't like me, k? k.

And for the record, I have never been high on anything. I am against drugs/alcohol. I was high once, I inhaled too much of wallpaper paste fumes when doing an art project, as well as a few other kids... it wasn't fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
My iBook has seriously crashed (i.e. kernel panic) twice since I got it (june '04)

Several times apps have unexpectedly quit on me, but then you just have to restart the app..

My XP machine was desperately needing a fresh reinstall when I switched, it constantly kept on crashing my large school assignments, it was so annoying that I actually went and installed linux & openoffice to finish the assignment...

OP
M

mangoSharingan

OK, don't scare me guys. I going to be ordering an Apple iBook 12" 1.2Ghz soon. I'm gonna stick some quality Crucial RAM in there, not some cheap generic one. Surely these crashes are just the usual ones like on Windows XP where you have too many programs running for example and one slows down and the only option is to reboot? I hope it's not to do with the OS or anything because I really do not want to be forced to get a Windows laptop (which I'll dual-boot with Linux anyways).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
i really wouldn't worry too much about crashes on an ibook. I think nowadays both mac and windows have come to a point where they are fairly stable in both regards. always expect the worse and save your work. the thing with technology is that you just cannot trust it to be completely reliable. i really wouldn't worry about it too much. Just get the ibook. I'm happy and getting more and more into it.

OP
M

mangoSharingan

Well, I just hope that I will NEVER have to send back my iBook to have it repaired because it would be a pain in the ass and I can't be bothered to buy that Apple care thing anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Naw, don't worry about the iBook crashing.

The whole mumbo-jumbo further up about kernel panics and such isn't as bad as it sounds...

Your iBook WILL crash at some point in time. There, I've said it, that's out...

But so will any computer system you own. Some crash more than others. XP and OSX are both fairly stable systems nowadays, although in my experience (!!!) XP tends to become buggier with time, meaning your installation becomes bogged down and needs to have a fresh installation to get it up to speed.

I haven't noticed that with OS X yet. It still feels as fast as when I got it...
So to sum up: Both crash from time to time, OS X installations age better and are thus generally less crash prone over long periods of time. (IN MY EXPERIENCE)

OP
A

altano

XP and Windows 2000 are both fairly stable OS's. If you were constantly getting blue screens, it was probably your fault. (not necessarily something you did directly, but maybe some bad software you installed)

If you were really worried about stability on PC's though, you shouldn't have been using XP. Studies have shown that Windows 2000 is more stable than XP, and my personal experience backs that up as well.

I've had my iBook since August, with only 1 OS lockup. I've had a few unstable apps like cyberduck and adium crash quite a few times though. This never affects the OS.

I would say iBooks running OS X and PCs on Win2k are about as stable as operating systems are going to get.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerboook G4 17" 1.67GHz 512MB ram, iPod 60GB, iPod shuffle
ok. my take. my ibook is mentioned below in my sig. i got it for a year now. and for the first few months it was good to me. then i dont know what i did, i started getting freezes and kernel panics. then i left it aside. now, after sending for "repairs" for a couple of times. it gets better and though i STILL get kernel panics and freezes, which only happens during boot-up, strange enough. i suspect it's the ram, which when i bought, the guy gave me some cheap RAM.
i just managed to get my friend to convert to Mac and she is happy with it. just so happens that my ibook is faulty.

cheers~

OP
B

buckley

In the 15 months that I've had my iBook, I've only experienced a handful of app-specific crashes (Quicktime and MS Word being the most notorious freezers), but never anything serious. So everything was fine until this weekend, when the thing crapped out on me. I am 99% sure that it's the ol' logic board, which Apple had better replace (they provide coverage for such failures until Dec. 17). So as long as the thing was working it was great...but for it to only function for 15 months is bogus. I have an old PC laptop from 1996 that still works. Sure it may be laughably slow and prone to freezing, but at least it still sputters and churns away after 8 years. I feel duped for having bought the iBook- I think quality has taken a backseat to image/marketing.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
My iBook crashes every week. Sometimes it freezes and sometimes kernel panics happens. But I'm sure the iBooks now are better. I think every once and a while someone will receive a bad Apple. This problem is not stopping me from getting an iMac G5. Just get AppleCare and you'll have no worries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
minus182 said:
ok. my take. my ibook is mentioned below in my sig. i got it for a year now. and for the first few months it was good to me. then i dont know what i did, i started getting freezes and kernel panics. then i left it aside. now, after sending for "repairs" for a couple of times. it gets better and though i STILL get kernel panics and freezes, which only happens during boot-up, strange enough. i suspect it's the ram, which when i bought, the guy gave me some cheap RAM.
i just managed to get my friend to convert to Mac and she is happy with it. just so happens that my ibook is faulty.

cheers~
Well if you know it's the RAM, why don't you try taking it out & taking it back...

At least if you take it out and don't have any problems you will be sure that's the problem...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.