DVI to HDMI

Reaction score
Hi, I've searched around and can't seem to find an answer to my question in other threads. I want to connect my MacBook Pro (from December of 2006 with an ATI Radeon X1600 video card) to my 32" Olevia 532H LCD HDTV. I found this cable and was wondering if my computer would be able to handle being hooked up with an HDMI cable. Should I just use a DVI to VGA cable? I would rather use the HDMI to get a better quality, but if it would be too much of a strain on my machine I won't use it. Also, would I need any other kind of cable to set this up? My computer came with a little DVI to VGA cord but it's only about 4" long and useless to me because it is male/male and the VGA input on the back of the TV is also male.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz Penryn MBP, 4 Gb Ram, 512mb 8600M GT, 250gb HDD & Black 30gb iPod, Black 16gb iPhone 3G
that will work fine. and will give you more compatible resolutions than with VGA

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks matt1985. Will I need any kind of adapter. I notice from other threads that people say they have DVI to HDMI, HDMI to HDMI...can I just get the DVI to HDMI cable and plug it directly into the TV and MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz Penryn MBP, 4 Gb Ram, 512mb 8600M GT, 250gb HDD & Black 30gb iPod, Black 16gb iPhone 3G
yep you can just buy the DVI-HDMI lead

also if you want audio to the TV, you will need a 3.5mm to 2RCA lead to connect to the headphone jack on the MBP to the associated R+W jacks for the HDMI port on your TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
Hi!

I just bought my MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, and wondered how I could hook it up to my 30" TV using HDMI. I bought a $5 adaptor from Walmart (male DVI - female HDMI) and use my HDMI cable that I use for my DVD player (also cheaply bought at Walmart).

For me, everything works great! The MBP automagically recognizes it and displays after less than 5 seconds (it also knows the make and model of my TV, which is a crappy 30" Sanyo Vizon). It's nice, but I have to reduce the resolution displayed on the TV, or else I am chopping off the top and bottom.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.