Access points vs Wireless router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4. 15" 512MB RAM & EMac G4 superdrive
Is there a difference between a wreless AP and a Wireless router? If so please explain. Also, if I have an Airport card in my PowerBook, do I have to turn it off to connect it to a switch with a cable? I have more questions but I'll ask them a few at a time as not to overwhelm you. Thanks for the info. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
no real differencce as far as performance, and you dont have to turn off airport to switch to a cable.

OP
scubagal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, so I can leave Airport turned on, great! Here is another question... If I bring my PowerBook to work where there is another wireless network, my Mac will see it automatically right? If so, can I configure it to run on that connection and keep have my configurations from home? Am I making sense? :girl:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Yes you can. You would need to create two configurations, one for home and the other for work.

G

General_K

My wireless network at home is closed, but the first time I took my PB to work, it saw the open wireless network there, and offered to connect to it, and remember the details for later use. Sure made my day! :mac:

OP
scubagal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, good food for thought. I appreciate all the feedback. You'll be hearing from me again soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That is assuming your work place has an open network and will allow you to access it with a personal machine. Many will not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.