Formatting a HDD via TDM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 DP G5, 2.0 Blk MacBook
Hi guys,
Unsure if this can be done thus asking for your input.
I want to swap out a Cube G4's puny 20 Gb drive and install a new one with a capacity of 80 to 120 GBs. Chances are this new drive will not be formatted for Mac and, having no external firewire drive enclosure handy i was wondering if this could work:
Install the new drive in the Cube, connect the Cube to my G5 w/ a FW cable, and boot the Cube in Target Disk Mode.
Do you think the new drive will appear on my G5's desktop and allow me to format it using Disk Utility?
Many thanks in advance,
Frank

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
You can do the same with Disk Utility, booting from the install disk.

Upon startup, you should see a Dialog Box telling you that the drive is not initialized and asking if you would like to initialize it now. Click on "OK." The computer will complete the startup process and the drive should be mounted on the Desktop.
If you do not get the dialog box at startup, go to Utilities on the menu bar, (after selecting languages) -Disk Utility.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 DP G5, 2.0 Blk MacBook
Alas, I inherited the Cube as is, without kb/mouse/speakers or install disks. Hmm, now that you got me thinking, i should try to boot it from my retail Leopard dvd. If that works then i'm all set!
*sigh* ticks me of when the obvious simple solutions pass me by. :Oops:
Thanks soulwar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.