Windows install with Boot Camp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac. 15" MacBookPro. 13" MacBookPro. iPhone 3G
Hi there--

I'm wondering if you HAVE to have a physical Windows Install disc when installing with Boot Camp or can you download/purchase from the net and burn a disk?

TIA!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
irwjc,

Think you need a retail version, for XP with SP2, not sure about Vista. Check out your Applications/Utility folder and print the "Boot Camp Application and Set Up Guide." It tells you just what it's looking for. If you downloaded and burn a disk, it probably wouldn't have SP2 (or Vista SP1) and would thereby fail. If you're going to buy the download, go instead to Newegg.com and buy an OEM version of XP for $89.99, free shipping. You won't have to worry!

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Hi there--

I'm wondering if you HAVE to have a physical Windows Install disc when installing with Boot Camp or can you download/purchase from the net and burn a disk?

TIA!

As long as it's bootable and a supported version, you'll be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.