partitioning g4 powerbook + loading os 9

T

Thom D

I have been trying to partition my G4 hard drive (15" powerbook, 1.5ghz) so that I can run osx on one section and os9 on the other (in order to run Logic on the os 9 section). Although i can partition the drive OK (using the os x install disk that came with the machine - v.10.3.4), there is no option to install os 9 disk drivers. I have tried installing from an earlier version of os x - v.10.3, but this just freezes up before it even gets to the first screen...

I don't know if the 1.5ghz powerbooks just can't deal with os 9, or whether there is another way of getting the relevant disk drivers on, any help much appreciated!! Apple tech support have been pretty useless on this one.t.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I think you have to install os 9 first, then install 10.3 as an upgrade

OP
T

Thom D

Hi Macman - thanks for your reply. I have already tried that, but my powerbook doesn't seem to recognise the OS 9.2 install disk. I know the disk isn't corrupted as it can be opened + contents viewed in the normal OS X desktop finder, but the machine refuses to start up from it. Do you of any reason why powerbooks such as mine (1.5 ghz) would do this? thanks,t.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
hmm, thats wierd, I think youll have to copy a sytem folder from a mac running classic, or off the classic install disk, then build on it, drop it on the other partition.
add apps, etc. why do you want seperate partitions for each os though? does classic not run your apps as well?

OP
T

Thom D

Unfortunately Logic Audio will only run on a true os9 base - not the Classic emulator which comes with osX. When I first tried partitioning, I did what you suggested, but the trouble with that was that OS X refused to recognise the OS 9 partition as a book disk, so I couldn't actually use that environment. Perhaps there is some way to force the machine to recognise the OS 9 partition?

OP
M

MickMAC

You have a new Powerbook, I don't think you can boot that machine in os 9.

it does not support os 9 and will not run it as the only opporating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Yep, MickMAC is right. Newer PowerBooks (I think all those that came after the Titanium models), G4 iBooks, PowerMac G4 FW800, and all G5 models can't boot in OS9 anymore.
Which version of Logic do you have? A friend of mine uses Logic in OS X (not Classic mode) without any trouble on his Aluminium PowerBook (which can't boot OS9)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think the current iBooks have the same issue with OS 9.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
baggss said:
I think the current iBooks have the same issue with OS 9.....

...which I already pointed out...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.