In search of new internal hard drive for Power Mac G5

Reaction score
Hi, all

I'm in dire need of a new internal hard drive. My current one has only a few GB of space for operating and is struggling to keep up.

I've cloned everything to a much larger external drive, but would like to get a new internal drive and revert to using the external as a back up.

My system profiler tell me this about the current drive:

ATA Bus:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D:

Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D
Revision: 1.15
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

I've tried searching online for a replacement, but I'm not entirely sure where I should be looking or exactly what I'm looking for.

Can anyone tell me what I need, and maybe point me to a make/model they would recommend?

I need something that is between 750GB and 1TB, if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Mira

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

Umm...The info you posted is for your optical drive...(DVD drive) ;)

What are the specs for your Mac? (Make, Model, Processor speed, screen size, etc..)

OP
M
Reaction score
Whoops! It's been a long day.

Serial-ATA Bus:

Maxtor 6Y250M0:

Capacity: 233.76 GB
Model: Maxtor 6Y250M0
Revision: YAR51FW0

I've actually just ordered the "Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB S/ATAII Internal 3.5" Hard Drive - HDS721010KLA330".

I'm pretty sure it's right, but it would be nice to have it confirmed so I can cancel if I've made a mistake ...

Thanks for the welcome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still need the specs for your Mac to confirm... ;)
Don't worry. Long day here as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Told you it's been a long day here,too...
Didn't notice it says Powermac G5...:eek:

"Officially, all models in the Power Macintosh G5 series, regardless of architectural differences, support only two 1.5 Gb/s Serial ATA (SATA) hard drives.
Fortunately, there are a variety of third-party products that make it possible to add additional internal 1.5 Gb/s SATA drives to the Power Macintosh G5."

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/3.5-SerialATA/

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...g5-how-to-install-additional-hard-drives.html

OP
M
Reaction score
The 750GB version of the Hitachi drive I have on order is listed on the page from your first link. Can I take it that that means the one I have ordered will be okay??

Or will I need one of the additional 'third-party products' you mention to get it to work? I'm not sure what that might be ... a firmware upgrade or summat?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 750GB version of the Hitachi drive I have on order is listed on the page from your first link. Can I take it that that means the one I have ordered will be okay??

Or will I need one of the additional 'third-party products' you mention to get it to work? I'm not sure what that might be ... a firmware upgrade or summat?

Cheers!
Looks like you have the right one!

The other "3rd party products" were for adding more HDD's, rather than replacing one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.