Airport turns off when MacBook Pro lid is closed...

Reaction score
How can I keep the wireless connection active so that my file transfers continue while the lid is closed? Not sure if it is an MBP thing or if it happens with MB also. Or maybe it is a Leopard thing?

Please advise?

Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
the MBP will go to sleep when the lid is closed, so everything shuts down. You'd have to run it in clamshell mode I think to keep if from sleeping with the lid closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
There is a way to overcome the sleep mode when you close the lid, but I just can't remember it right now. If I find it I'll update.

Reaction score
Your MBP wont commit suicide. It will shut itself down if it gets that hot. Which, if its not really working, shouldnt do, closed or not.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Well..if I am doing an all night file transfer it would be running all night...so you are saying it will turn itself off if it gets too hot? sometimes i feel like its burning while I am using it..it never turns itself off...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well..if I am doing an all night file transfer it would be running all night...so you are saying it will turn itself off if it gets too hot? sometimes i feel like its burning while I am using it..it never turns itself off...

It shouldn't matter. Worst case scenario, as others have said, is that it will shut itself down (the CPU actually has a fail safe to prevent it from overheating). But I have to ask - why not just leave the lid open and turn the brightness all the way down on the screen? This way, it will breathe better and not run so hot - but you're still able to download.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.