What kind of ram did you put in your ibook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
I was just wondering for all you ibookers how much ram you have in your ibook and what brand you purchased. Secondly, does anyone have any horror or success using generic brands? What makes ram specific to apple? I've followed links provided by you guys to search for ram. There is this one site that also lists other vendors who have the same ram based on spec but isn't apple certified, am i taking a risk on my ibook using it?

M

m1k

Well, I have a PowerBook, not an iBook, but...

I have 512MB in it, 256 came with it and I bought an additional 256 from Apple. It works just fine (no overheating, etc.).

I've heard some good stuff about Crucial, and Kingston is definitely awesome. And of course Apple...

D

Desolate One

I haven't gotten my RAM stick yet but I have a friend that's been using everything but Windows for as long as I can remember and he recommended Crucial. Said it's never failed him in his PCs (*nix systems) or his Macs, iBook included. I'm going for Crucial when I get mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Same here: It isn't that crucial kensington etc use 'special' apple specific RAM.

It's more a case of generic RAM sometimes having quality issues.
These slight problems might not affect all generic RAM, but if you get a bad stick, then it can cause your computer to freeze and have all sorts of stability issues.

The more expensive RAM by the mentioned suppliers is generally more reliable, that's all...

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
what are the issues that occur using generic ram? the ones i have heard of include overheating and computer freezing. is it really possible to actually damage the computer using ram that may have quality issues? The one I am looking @ is Kingmax. I e-mailed their support and they said it was okay to use but when i mailed him about more info he didnt reply.

C

code777

the same day i bought my iBook i asked apple to put in another 256 so 512 total. For what i do its plenty. If you do any serious photoshop, protools, and the such you'll need more (and a larger HDD) but 512 is the minimum and all computers should come with 512 standard (yeah right).

I have the overpriced Apple RAM but if you get Crucial and Kingston you should be fine.

C

colday

The day I got my iBook I bought a 512mb stick of Kingston "value ram". It works great. I've been using it hours each day without a hitch.

I just copied over 2,000 digital photos from my PC, and can browse through them in iPhoto just about as quick as on my P4 3.0 PC.

I too obsessed over this issue, but decided to take a chance. I'm glad I did.

Steve
OldManCompute

C

code777

there is one person i know with an iBook 12" that upgraded with "aftermarket" RAM and had many probs (switched it to Apple RAM) but this is the only person i know that has had any problem - i guess I felt better buying Apple RAM but I could have saved a ton if i went aftermarket....

X

x-kid

I just got my ibook last week. I purchased a stick of Kingmax 512mb to go with it. It's been a week now and so far no problems yet. This is my first mac and I'm loving OS X

C

crisrose

i bought 1024mb (1Gb) chip from crucial to max my 12" ibook G4 out at 1280mb RAM.

Boy has it ever made a difference..... !!

A ***** to fit though, you have to push a lot harder than you might think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
^^Where did you buy that ram, and how much was it? I am looking to do the same when I recieve my ibook, I want it maxed. I do notice that you are in the UK though, does anyone know a good place to get Mac Ram? Can it use regular ol PC notebook ram, as long as it is DDR 266?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Greenredfield said:
^^Where did you buy that ram, and how much was it? I am looking to do the same when I recieve my ibook, I want it maxed. I do notice that you are in the UK though, does anyone know a good place to get Mac Ram? Can it use regular ol PC notebook ram, as long as it is DDR 266?
I think there are other issues to be considered such as voltage, size, pins etc.

Easiest way to find what you need is to use the Crucial memory selector at www.crucial.com, which will show you the right ram for your machine...

Reaction score
Just installed 256MB PC2700 of PNY RAM into my iBook G4. Works perfectly. It was an open item so it came out to 19.99 after rebate. Sweet deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.