Noob: Which router should I get?

Reaction score
I'm going to be a freshman in college next year and am going to be purchasing a MacBook Pro. As I understand it, I will be able to pick up on wireless connections at the campus. At home, however, I will need a router.
I have absolutely no knowledge on the subject and would like for someone who does to help out.

I've read that Lynksys is good, but might have problems with a Mac.
Again, any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

OP
I
Reaction score
No one? :(

Edit: Would this be a good choice?

Also, I would need to connect the router with an Arris Cable Modem. Does the connector come with the router, or would it need to be bought seperately?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
In general, if all you need is a basic way to browse the web wirelessly, they are all pretty good.

If you're in a larger city in the US, check the circulars in the Sunday paper--Office Depot, Circuit City, Best Buy, Staples, Office Max, etc. They often have sales and rebates in excess of 50% off.

If you're in a rural area, all of the above stores have their weekly ads on their websites. They honor the same pricing online.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you!
I am thinking about buying from either Staples or Bestbuy.

I just want to make sure I'm going to be able to use the router before I buy it. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Due to the untimely death of my Linksys WRT54G, I just switched from it to the Apple Airport Extreme and am very happy with it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just recently upgraded to a D-Link DIR-655. It's a higher end router and generally runs around $130 (although it was on sale at CC last week for $119). So far, the range has been superior to my old WRT54G (even with high-gain antennas) and the throughput is up to expectations. I've been very happy with it overall, and I'm not the only one - the DIR-655 has been one of the most consistently well-rated routers in recent memory, taking top marks from a number of respected sources like MaximumPC and CNet.

It took a lot to lure me from Linksys, but I think this is a very nice product at an attractive price point - and it works well with both my Mac and PCs.

OP
I
Reaction score
That D-Link router seems very good.
I'm just not sure if I need one that good?
This would obviously be my first router, and I would most likely only have my soon-to-be-bought MacBook Pro connected to it.

Would you recommend the D-Link or the Linksys?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That D-Link router seems very good.
I'm just not sure if I need one that good?
This would obviously be my first router, and I would most likely only have my soon-to-be-bought MacBook Pro connected to it.

Would you recommend the D-Link or the Linksys?

Those are two different classes of routers, one is very high-end, the other is very low end. If you need long range and high-speed LAN transfers, the D-Link will fit the bill. If your needs are more basic, the Linksys should be OK.

OP
I
Reaction score
Well I live in a fairly small house, so I don't believe I need a huge range.
And I'm going to be doing graphic design, so I'll need to be able to use the Internet at a high speed while having multiple other applications open. So I suppose I have pretty basic needs.

Side note: Which Middletown, PA? I might live semi-close to you. :Cool:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I live in a fairly small house, so I don't believe I need a huge range.
And I'm going to be doing graphic design, so I'll need to be able to use the Internet at a high speed while having multiple other applications open. So I suppose I have pretty basic needs.

Side note: Which Middletown, PA? I might live semi-close to you. :Cool:

I didn't know there was more than one. Just outside of Harrisburg, famous for being home to Three Mile Island.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.