Non-ethernet networking options for iBook?

B

bearclaws

Are there any firewire or USB devices available to connect an iBook to the internet?

My girlfriend owns an iBook (bought in 2002; OsX) and she managed to wreck her ethernet port and it no longer works. She initially purchased insurance from Apple however they said that this is not covered and want to charge her $700 to replace the part!

They recommended buying an airport base and card as an alternative solution, but that seems faily expensive, too. Plus, I don't see any slots on the computer that could accept a wireless card.

Any help would be much appreicated.

>>BC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
the slot for an airport card is under the keyboard. you could replace the motherboard, as far as connecting to the internet via usb or firewire, the only possibility would be if it was on a network with other macs, in which case a connection could be shared , maybe even through taret firewire disk mode, maybe:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
OP
M

mohater

they make USB network cards - not sure if they make any mac compatible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think you can get USB ethernet adapters for mac, just search google, you'll find one!

Or get a cheaper USB-Wireless Lan adapter if you don't like the apple solution.
The apple airport base station is quite expensive, but you can use other brands just as easily.

I'd suggest getting the internal Apple WLAN card and a generic base station. It won't be that expensive and is a lot more practical than a usb ethernet solution IMO.

OP
B

bearclaws

Thanks so much for the responses!

trpnmonkey41 - those USB/Ethernet adapaters are what I had in mind.

However, I like the idea of installing a an apple wireless card inside the computer and using a cheap station. That sounds reasonably priced...and keeps the part inside where it can't be so easily broken!

I'll post an upadate if anything interesting happens.

Many thanks :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.