• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Tying those gosh darn ties...

Reaction score
I CAN'T.
I've never really been in the sort of situation that requires a tie.
Weird right?
Well, that event is coming on Wednesday. Well, i don't NEED a tie, but i've wanted to learn so the knotting devils don't win.
Weirdly enough my dad has no idea....turned into a huge fight when he tried to look it up.
Well now i'm TRYING like a bajillion different websites, but the "SIMPLEST" knot is just TOO HARD FOR ME.

I'm using

http://www.tie-a-tie.net/windsor.html

AND

http://www.how-to-tie-a-tie.org/necktie.html

and there were some other ones, but I end up in a huge mess.

It loses me at step 3.
It's SO ANNOYING.

Apparently this isn't hard...but it IS.
There are videos, but since i'm on dial up and all....
Can anyone help me?

This might also be a time to comment on experiences and stuff about ties in general! :p

Thanks,
Tanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Takes practice. Get a job that requires wearing one daily and you stop thinking about it after a while. Course, I now haven't worn a tie since 1994

Reaction score
Ok hopefully this can help but there are no pics, because I am typing it as I do it with every detail you need to know....

TRY TO KEEP YOUR LEFT HAND HOLDING ONTO THE THIN BIT AT ALL TIMES.

Put your collar up and tie around your neck with the thinner end hanging on your left and the thicker side hanging on your right.
Pull your right hand side down a little untill the thinner side is roughly level with your nipple.
Now hold both ends, cross your right side over your left side keeping your left hand holding tight onto the tie.
Bring the tick end round again to make a circle round the thin end.
Now bring the thick end up behind the loop and flick it over so it hangs infront.
Now open up the loop a little bit that you created around your thinner strand and slide your thicker bit down the front hole.
Hold the knot with your right hand and the back thin strand and pull the knot up towards your chin and the stran down with a wiggle to form some shape.
Now pull into place untill your comfortable and the tie looks satisfactory.

If you have problems dont use a tie :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Blimey, I had to wear ties at school

Hardly ever wear the darn things now, but still remember how to do them

I still remember going to a party in central london in a tux

Quite a strange feeling, since I am usually quite scruffy

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
Actually those instructions and that link was REALLY HELPFUL!
Why do they say the windsor is the easiest?
WHY?
IT AIN'T.
Anyway, I can get it now.....it still doesn't really look that great but i'm getting there.

I FEEL SO MORE UN-ANGRY NOW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
I wear ties all the time... Have been for at least 2-3 years now. I guess I'm just odd. Once you do it enough, you can just do it easy without thinking really.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I CAN'T.
I've never really been in the sort of situation that requires a tie.
Weird right?
Well, that event is coming on Wednesday. Well, i don't NEED a tie, but i've wanted to learn so the knotting devils don't win.
Weirdly enough my dad has no idea....turned into a huge fight when he tried to look it up.
Well now i'm TRYING like a bajillion different websites, but the "SIMPLEST" knot is just TOO HARD FOR ME.

I'm using

http://www.tie-a-tie.net/windsor.html

AND

http://www.how-to-tie-a-tie.org/necktie.html

and there were some other ones, but I end up in a huge mess.

It loses me at step 3.
It's SO ANNOYING.

Apparently this isn't hard...but it IS.
There are videos, but since i'm on dial up and all....
Can anyone help me?

This might also be a time to comment on experiences and stuff about ties in general! :p

Thanks,
Tanner.
It appears that you are losing it while making the triangle, which is the most importatnt part of the knot. It is what defines the shape of the ties knot. So if you mess it up, so will your tie.

I normally tie a half windsor. Hopefully the video below will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FppCJ46C31A

Reaction score
You rock tanner. Your influence pretty much taught me how to make a tie. Ironic considering I have to wear one every day at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
I use the Pratt knot: http://www.tie-a-tie.net/pratt.html

In fact, that's the site I used to teach myself a couple of years ago. Out of all the knots on the site, I was able to make that one look the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I could never really tie a tie ever in my life, easy fix was to go buy one in a nice store.....try it on......thereby asking the salesperson who most know in the fancy stores to tie a tie, to get them to tie it up for you.....then all ya gotta do is loosen it up to take it off, leave the knot in place and your good as gold !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I used to tie one every day for school (that doesn't mean I knew how to make one look good...) and I now tie one for work (I now know how to make it look good... double winsor ftw!)

I love ties. I work in a menswear store 2 - 3 days a week and I have 14 ties... lol

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
Interesting.

I appear to have a totally new knot. Makes a nice large knot which IMHO looks better than a little tiny one..

*runs off to get copyright on the JK necktie knot*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Interesting.

I appear to have a totally new knot. Makes a nice large knot which IMHO looks better than a little tiny one..

*runs off to get copyright on the JK necktie knot*

Me too! Tiny ones look like a school kids...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looks like I may have to look at the other type of knots out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
There is only one item of clothing you really need my friend...
Tuxedo T-Shirt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I actually taught my self how to tie. I wasn't even trying and I did this when I was 10 years old. I saw what one looked like and tried to replicate it. Now it is the "Four in Hand" knot, but I still taught myself without any prior research.

Sorry, not meant to rub it in.

Reaction score
Well I am glad my instructions helped you overcome your problems with ties, it is the easiest way i think the way i do it.

;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.