MacBook buzzing noise

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
For the last two days I had a few issues with my standard Macbook, it wouldn't start up, then I had a grey screen for a few hours, then a blue screen. I re-installed os x a few times and eventually it worked with an erase and install. Everythings working perfectly again now, but the machine is considerably louder than it used to be, there's an almost constant low buzzing sound. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What you describe could be related to hard drive problems. Make a backup of your hard drive as soon as you can in case it is failing. The low buzzing sound could be the fan or the hard drive, it's hard to say.

How old is the machine and is it still under warranty? You might want to have it checked out by an authorized Apple repair shop or at a local Apple store.

Regards.

Reaction score
I don't know if this helps, but a computer at my school kept randomly making a loud buzzing. Apparently it was the fan or sound card.

I agree with above, whether or not your hard drive is failing, I would back up too incase its something worse.

OP
N
Reaction score
I think it's still under the three year apple care. Luckily I backed up everything last week before this happened so I didn't lose too much. I'll take it to an Apple store asap though, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Ultimate
I'm experiencing the same ordeal, I have to levels of buzzing though. I think it's the fan. I need to take mine in as well but I depend on my comp everyday.... :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.