Attention iMac G4 800Mhz users do i upgrade or go windows PC route

Reaction score
Dear Imac users,

Okay I see the price of 512MB for imac G4 800 is about £60, but on modern macs I can pay same price for 2GB. This bites me slightly. I need to know that an Imac G4 800Mhz with 768 MB (133) will handle casual browsing/flash etc for at least another couple of years without me falling asleep. I am on a severe budget so would perhaps goto a £300 windows machine (cough) just for the economy (I can put £60 towards it instead of the old imac memory)

Do you advise the upgrade and stay with 800Mhz or goto £300 windows pc option for the speed difference?
Please advise as I find it a gross insult to the environment to dump any useful computer/technologies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The RAM would definitely help - but if you are finding it slow then you might want to go the PC route

Personally on my G4 733 - the only things I find a pain are uTube videos being slow and any video encoding taking ages. Otherwise this machine is just fine

You could always sell the imac on ebay - someone will give it a home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
Your G4 uses a laptop size SDRAM module, and yes these are expensive compared to DDR and DDR2. I would buy the extra memory, it'll really help, but the G4 is starting to show its age.

Remember that there's another slot underneath the bottom of the imac with a full size SDRAM module, you can upgrade that for about $40 US, and get the SODIMM size one later, that'll give you 1gb and will really help prolong the life of your mac.

My latest experiment is a 1ghz G4 emac. I threw 1gb of SDRAM in it and installed OS 10.5, and its very useable.

Eventually, you might want to consider picking up a used Mac Mini with an Intel Core Duo (I got mine a year ago for $410 on ebay), the speed difference there will be dramatic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.