Thinking about selling my ibook...

U

unity

Ok, here's the deal, I'm thinking about selling my ibook but I don't know how I can erase my personal files. Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance

OP
D

Desolate One

You could always do a fresh install. If you bought it new you should have the apropriate disks.

But more importantly why are you thinking about selling it???

OP
U

unity

I want to get a PowerBook, I have the original documentation, Cd's and everything I just don't know how to do it. :dummy:

OP
D

Desolate One

unity said:
I want to get a PowerBook, I have the original documentation, Cd's and everything I just don't know how to do it. :dummy:

I was just thinking to myself, He's thinking PowerBook! But I didn't want to get ahead of myself. Far too many, "This is too hard, I'm getting a Dell" threads about the boards.
Unfortunately I'm very green myself so I would just be guessing. Pop in the disk, see if there's an option to resort back to a fresh install. Windows has an option as such, perhaps the same applies to OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Put in your software restore cd

Restart the computer and hold down C as soon as the computer starts to boot up
Select the option Erase and Install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Or if you are really paranoid about personal information, hook up your mac to another one, boot yours in firewire disk mode and then open disk utility on the second machine.

Select the disk to be erased and under erase options select both features.

They make sure any personal information cannot be retrieved.

Then do a fresh installation for the new buyer.

OP
U

unity

Aptmunich said:
Or if you are really paranoid about personal information, hook up your mac to another one, boot yours in firewire disk mode and then open disk utility on the second machine.

Select the disk to be erased and under erase options select both features.

They make sure any personal information cannot be retrieved.

Then do a fresh installation for the new buyer.

Ummm is the process difficult ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
When I bought my ibook (used) the girl left alot of her files on here. Unimportant but I didn't want "her" clutter. I had all the docus and cd's so I just did a brand new clean install. wiped out all her stuff.
It's very easy to do a clean install

OP
U

unity

I actually went to the apple store last night and got myself a brand new Powerbook =). I'm soooo pleased with it. Mac rocks my world! Anyways, I have the firewire cable at home and will try and do the clean install tonight. I'll keep everyone posted as I progress.

Thanks for the info!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.