imac 800Mhz PPC G4 should I upgrade from 256MB memory

Reaction score
Simple question.

The imac seems to lag on ebay, opening photos etc (even with basic apps running). I know that windows pc's need about 768MB just to survive on modern (xp etc) os's do I reckon that 256MB is really pushing it, even for macs.
Is it worth trying to obtain an additional 256 or a 512 module to reduce the lag or should I just put that cost towards a new imac?
Is the symptom of - waiting 5 seconds for jpegs to open- and suchlike, caused by this 256MB system?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Simple question.

The imac seems to lag on ebay, opening photos etc (even with basic apps running). I know that windows pc's need about 768MB just to survive on modern (xp etc) os's do I reckon that 256MB is really pushing it, even for macs.
Is it worth trying to obtain an additional 256 or a 512 module to reduce the lag or should I just put that cost towards a new imac?
Is the symptom of - waiting 5 seconds for jpegs to open- and suchlike, caused by this 256MB system?

Absolutely. If you're running OS X, it will run a lot more comfortably with 512MB+.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for your prompt and clear reply. I will have a look at crucial, kingston and corsair for pricing, with perhaps a slight look at ebay.
Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.