Transfer User to new Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm using a new hard drive I installed internally in my G4 as my startup drive, and want to copy my Safari bookmarks, as well as my Mail preferences, settings and messages from the original HD. Can you tell me how to do this? Thanks so much.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello all. I'm using a new hard drive I installed internally in my G4 as my startup drive, and want to copy my Safari bookmarks, as well as my Mail preferences, settings and messages from the original HD. Can you tell me how to do this? Thanks so much.

Try the Migration Assistant, available in your Applications => Utilities directory. It should be able to import your data, apps, accounts and settings from the old drive.

OP
Christopher
Reaction score
Thank you CWA. The only thing is, there's something up with that drive, and i want to completely wipe it and don't want to transfer stuff over too much, as i want to not infect my new drive with whatever's going on. Can you tell me where OS X 10.4 keeps my mail profile? Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would imagine it's in /Users/<username>/Library/Mail/, at least that's how it looks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.