connecting iMac w/Airport to wireless network

Reaction score
Just moved into a new home and I am making a valiant attempt to connect my girlfriend's G5 iMac to a wireless network (linksys WRT54GS) however I can't figure out how to see that network (or any of the others that I see on my WinXP laptop.)

Is it possible to connect in this manner and if yes, could someone please hold my hand and provide guidance?

Thanks!
David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
  1. Assuming you have an Airport card installed..
  2. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]From the Apple menu, select System Preferences.[/SIZE][/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Click the Network Icon.
    system_pref.gif
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]In the Show: field, make sure that Airport is selected[/SIZE][/FONT]
    network_airport.gif
  5. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]In the By default, join: field, select Preferred Networks.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    network_airport1.gif
  6. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Click the plus (+) sign to add a network. You will then see this window:
    network_airport2.gif

.Add the name of your Network or click down arrow for available networks.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  7. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Click Apply Now.[/SIZE][/FONT]
  8. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The airport signal
    signal.gif
    on the top right corner of your window should now show connectivity and you should be able to use a web browser, e-mail or any other application that requires a network connection.[/SIZE][/FONT]

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the direction.

When I get to step #4 the "By default, join" dialog box is grayed ot and says "A specific network" however I am unable to choose anything...I suspect that is where the problem is.

My router is very close and I have a neighbor's whose is quite close as well. Could I have an Airport problem???

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Are you able to select the "+" sign, at the bottom of the window? (to add a network)
If not, try running the AirPort Setup Assistant. (Applications/Utilities)

OP
D
Reaction score
Just figured it out: I was using Internet Sharing at the old location and once I turned it off and re-booted the iMac, I was able to see all available networks.

Thanks much for your assistance...it is greatly appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.