Please Help! My MBP Was Soaked in Water!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook1.83GHzC2D 4GB Ram 320GB HDD DL Superdrive iMac C2D 2GHz 3GB Ram 1TB HDD DL Superdrive
You can get WD40 pens, kind of like a highlighter pen.

Reaction score
I have one of those WD40 pens. Works great for those squeaky desk drawers.
MacBook Pro? Um, I don't know. Sounds risky though!
I put WD40 on my trumpet once, a tiny bit. Smelled it for weeks. Others did too.

So sorry about your MBP! Accidents are horrible.
Oh the guilt.
Good thing I only have old crappy stuff if I soaked it I wouldn't be horribly upset! ;)

Reaction score
Yeah, I was running with a backpack full of beers with my macbook, I tripped and they broke SOAKING my macbook.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..........***?

I'm....sorry?

Interesting.
I love weird stores like these.
Interesting.....

(last post was my 800th ) :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thank you everyone for your positive inputs. It has been about four days since the spillage and I have tried turning my MBP on today. Here's what happend:

1. heard the Apple start-up chime
2. Screen turned on (very dark), saw the Apple logo
3. screen went blank
4. screen appeared white bright
5. screen started flashing
6. i saw trace of water

so i tried connecting it to an external monitor, to my surprise it worked.

i guess the screen is messed up but the machine itself is okay.

It could be the inverter, the flex cable or the logic board. Tough call on this one.

I called AppleCare UK and they estimated the cost of repair to be an outrageous £750 (US$1,500) and will take TWO weeks to repair.
That is a bit much. Have you checked with other Apple-authorized service providers? I'm not familiar with those that are in the UK, but I'd imagine there's got to be an alternative to sending it to Apple.

I can't justify myself paying that much to replace the screen and can't wait two weeks (i have important work to do). I am just going to keep my current MBP and connect it to an external screen when I get home or get it cleaned up at some computer repair shop.
Hmmm... I don't know that I'd use it, even if an external screen works, especially if you still see evidence of water - it really hasn't been that long. I don't think anyone recommended trying it before Friday.

So........ after begging my parents... they are willing to give me one last chance to buy a new MBP at their costs.

I have decided for the mid-range model 2.5GHz 15". Apple UK offer an academic price at about £1,400 (US$2,800) including AppleCare. I will surely buy additional accidental damage insurance.

What do you guys think about this particular MBP? Is it nearly the end of its cycle (i.e. new MBP coming out soon (within a week or two???)?? I really need to new laptop right now.
Tough to say as Apple is super-secretive about new product releases. What I always say is buy the machine you need when you need it. It will continue to do the things you bought it to do long after a new model comes out.

OP
Skyrider007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Thanks again cwa107 for your advice. Sorry about the *'s (i really am in a bad mood at the moment).

I guess I'll just have to buy a new MBP (changed my mind to the lower-end 2.4GHz model now since I don't need the extra power and my broken SR2.4GHz model worked perfectly for me).

I notice you have the latest 2.4GHz MBP in your signature, how has it been performing for you?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks again cwa107 for your advice. Sorry about the *'s (i really am in a bad mood at the moment).

I guess I'll just have to buy a new MBP (changed my mind to the lower-end 2.4GHz model now since I don't need the extra power and my broken SR2.4GHz model worked perfectly for me).

I notice you have the latest 2.4GHz MBP in your signature, how has it been performing for you?

Thanks

It's great, haven't found anything that doesn't run the way I want it to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
You have not waited long enough. You said yourself you saw water trace when you turned it on last. Wait LONGER. and you seem to keep ignoring the people who tell you to take it apart and dry it out with a hair dryer or something more then just sitting sitting near a window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I second waiting longer. Sealed container and Silica also sounds like a good idea. I've never had a totally soaked mac, but I spill on it quite often, and my mobile's still ok after being dropped into a toilet TWICE. It's all a matter of time. You won't know if it's really screwed for at least another week or two.

I dunno if the KRCS store in Leicester is your nearest, if you take it there they'll probably send it off to their repair place...

On the other hand if you're getting a new one I'll happily purchase the old one - and oddly enough I'm only a couple of miles away...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.