sharing internet with windows

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been trying to connect to the internet with my PC through my Mac and it's been impossible.
Been googling and researching for 2 days and I'm going a little crazy ;D
This is what I've got:

Mac (OS 10.4) : port ethernet 1 (connected to router): IP 192.168.0.2, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, gateway: 192.168.0.1
Port ethernet 2 (connected to PC) IP: 10.1.0.1, subnet mask: 255.255.255.128, gateway: blank (or 10.1.0.1 but doesn't make a difference)

PC (win2k): IP 10.1.0.2, subnet mask: 255.255.255.128, gateway: 10.1.0.1

I can share files but can't go on the internet with the PC.
I'm using firefox and I've set proxy settings to 10.1.0.1 port:?? (tried many but not too sure what to take).
And I've obviously turned on internet sharing on the mac.

Must say I've ran out of ideas. Managed to do this with 2 PC's but first time I'm trying with a Mac.
Help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Have you enabled internet sharing under System Preferences?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, missed that!

The way you're set up now, aren't the two ethernet connections basically running to separate networks?
Can you set up the 2nd ethernet connection to use a 192.168.0.x addressing as well and set the gateway for the PC as the router's address?

OP
F
Reaction score
Have changed to 192.168.0.3/4 but for some reasons I could no longer connect to the internet with the Mac.
So went back to previous IP's. I remember that I read somewhere that a guy used this config and made it work.
I'm not too sure how I should config proxy server on mac either. I tried many different settings on both Mac and Firefox (PC Client) but no results.
I'm very close to give up and get a switch...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would probably be easiest :)

Or get a router with multiple ethernet ports...

Reaction score
I recently moved and had to tether my desktop through my Macbook as well, I'm running vista. Just like you, I went into my Macbook system preference and turned on internet sharing, selected to share my airport connection over my ethernet out. All I did, was connect my ethernet cable between the laptop and desktop, and after several minutes of struggling, went into vistas "set up a connection or network" tool in the network and sharing center. I chose to connect to the internet, and before completing any other steps, MSN logged in, so I just exited the tool and it works great. I don't know if this will work for you, I just know it worked for me. I also realize that was a terrible explanation, but I thought I'd let you know. Good luck on getting your setup working.

Reaction score
Could livinlarge69 explain differently what he did , I didn't got exactly the point.
In the past I'd a similar problem and decided to gave up with Internet Sharing ,installed a free proxy WEB (SquidMan) on the MAC and finally got the access for the Win PC .
In this case I'd to configure 'internet access via proxy' on the Win PC, things that I suppose is not required with Internet Sharing
Morever immediately afterInternet Sharing was configured all LAN connections dropped, why?
L.ARb

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.