VMware and Parallels

Reaction score
Please don't hate me, I am about to use some forbidden words here. OK here I go, I just installed 'XP' (is the coast clear) on to my mac via boot-camp. I was thinking about running either VMware or Parallels to run leopard and 'XP' together. does any one have any experience with either one? I am looking for any input at all.

Danny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
My son and I run XP via Fusion . I have had no real issues with XP as yet using this method. My son uses special software which is windows only for his Dyslexia without problems . I don't game that much.My son uses mostly Mac games on his Macbook. I know some prefer to use bootcamp for gaming

Fusion was recommended to us when we purchased the Macbook. However for a debate for which is better do a forum search

jah

Reaction score
fusion:
i bought and installed. it seems kinda un polished, should have kept with parallels. both are good products, but...

fusion:
on installation my windows xp install cd failed. some of the virtual machine was installed tho. it was not obvious how to remove the dead virtual machine, bad. note; the machine is just a compressed file by default but there is a way to do it in a partition, some how this is better but may have backup issues, dont know. oh ya it ran about a mo and failed, is not working now and i dont have the time to fixy. this app takes a lot to time and luv away from your life.
-it asserts the caps lock key at random on start up, a bad for passwords
-it seems to think my macbookpro has a floppy drive

parallels:
maybe does less but never failed and alot less hassle. it dosnt work well with linux but the mac Terminal app gets you this anyway. i would go with parallels but only due to my bad experiences with fusion

OP
D
Reaction score
thank you for your replies however, I am still looking for more input. I also was wondering how it would work seeing as how I already patitioned my hard drive for boot camp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
If you go here and download the manual to Fusion in PDF format you will find the answer to your question on Page 16 of the manual
It's not hard to do by the look of it
http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/fusion_pubs.html
You will however have to re activate XP on your first use ... Don't you just love Microsoft :D

Reaction score
personally, I do like fusion. I'm running that on both my macbook, and imac. I really didn't even try parallels because I'm somewhat partial to vmware and their products. I LOVE the unity view, but mostly use spaces to toggle between the 2. Haven't had a problem yet

Reaction score
I have XP via Parallels on a Macbook and XP via Fusion on a Mac Mini that runs headless on our office network.

Both run very well, however Fusion is useless at finding printers on our network and the procedure for adding a network printer is clumsy and complicated.

The latest Parallels update causes a lockup that requires a forced quit to get out.

The latest Fusion update supplies a link to a page with a series of downloadable files, none of which is marked clearly as the one you want, so this is one aspect of the Windows environment that has been successfully emulated! <g>

Because of the printer problem I am seriously thinking of converting the Mac Mini to Parallels - although all the information out there goes the other way.

John F

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.