Safari issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Hello,

I am writing on behalf of a friend who I was out with on Saturday night. He said he was having issues with Safari on his MacBook Pro running 10.5.

Basically Safari won't connect to the internet or at least that is what it seems like. I haven't seen the problem on his laptop, only heard it from him so I can't be very specific, but he says when he opens safari and is connected to the internet via airport, Safari displays the old "couldn't find the server" page.

He has Firefox installed and it runs fine nad connects no problem. I asked him had he rest safari and he said he had, and when he clicks on the network diagnostics link within the failed to find server page, all the the lights are green for connection.

So I wondered has anyone had this issue and what would people recommend trying to do to fix the problem?

Thank you in advance for any sugestions,

Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Is he simply typing in the page wrong and that webpage simply doesn't exist

Has he tries any other pages, like apple.com that are known to be there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
He should check his proxy settings. It looks like Safari uses whatever proxy is set in the System Preferences under Network, Advanced, Proxies. However, Firefox can have it's own proxy srver settings configured separately (look under Firefox - Preferences - Advanced - Network - Settings).

If the two are different, then he wants to set the System Preferences to match what is set in Firefox.

OP
melmation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tank you for your responses.

To the first reply, Safari reads everything as dead, even google.com so it's not a mis-spelling of a web address.

Second reply, thank you, I have emailed him with your info to see if that works. I'll come back and let you know what happens!

Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have seen similar problems from time to time, but only on Leopard. Safari will report that it cannot find the server, no matter what URL you are trying to visit. So far, simply exiting and restarting Safari (3.1) has resolved this issue for me when it crops up.

OP
melmation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Guys,

Well, thank you rob.h he tried what you said and it worked!! thank you for helping me help my friend. He was kind of shocked that I remembered him telling me about it as we were out at a party, but I hate it when people have problems with their mac and LOVE to be able to help them.

SO thank you all!

Mel

Reaction score
safari not working, widgets neither

I have exactly the same problem, which has suddenly appeared. Could it also be affecting the widgets, which now don't work either? Basically, Safari won't connect for the internet.

Firefox works fine though, where I have the proxies set to "direct connection to the internet". I work through the dialogue windows to the proxy settings through System Preferences &/or Network: which of the boxes should I tick? (there's FTP Proxy, Web Proxy, Secure Web Proxy, SOCKS Proxy, Gopher Proxy & Automatic Proxy Configuration). I've tried ticking "Automatic Proxy Configuration", but, bizarrely this does not stay.

I can live without Safari (Firefox works better for more poorly designed sites), but not widgets. TIA

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.