Triple Booting & rEFIt

T

tux08902

Is it possible to triple boot Gentoo Linux, Windows Vista, and OS X without using rEFIt, possibly by choosing each at startup by holding down the options key?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
Just don't install Refit

OP
T

tux08902

So, can the firmware bootloader boot Linux? Where does rEFIt come into all of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
rEFIt just has some nice features built in such as the ability to reset the partitioning table and access the EFI shell. If you're absolutely sure of what you're doing and don't mind the ugliness of the hard drive icons that show up when you press option, you should be fine in theory. I actually know someone who dual boots OS X and Linux without rEFIt.

OP
T

tux08902

What's so ugly about the hard drive icons? I think it's far more elegant than a standard PC. I'll be following a guide. I'd assume that it'd be fine, even if I don't setup elilo correctly. Linux just won't boot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.