XP Asks for Password When Accessing Time Capsule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I use a Time Capsule as my wireless router. My Macbook connects wirelessly. My PC w/ XP connects via ethernet cable.

My Macbook always has access to the Time Capsule hard drive just like any other external drive. It does not ask for a password prior to accessing it.

My PC w/ Windows always asks for the password before connecting to the Time Capsule hard drive. No password is asked for to connect to the router.

How do I get a PC connected via ethernet to stop asking for a password every time I want to connect to the Time Capsule hard drive?

Reaction score
I spent ages looking for an answer myself until it came to me while I was sorting out another NAS system...u will need to change the way the TC disk is secured. Most people are using just a disk password, so u simply enter a password and u have access to the disk. For MS OSs to access u have to change the mode to user accounts, which will make ANYTHING u already have on the TC disk unreadable...basically is kills any data u have on it when u change the security mode.

Once u have changed it u should be able to log right in, I did this with a new TC but cannot be bothered at the moment to copy 800GB of the TC and then back again just so I can use it via my MS PC :-|

OP
Jaygray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I spent ages looking for an answer myself until it came to me while I was sorting out another NAS system...u will need to change the way the TC disk is secured. Most people are using just a disk password, so u simply enter a password and u have access to the disk. For MS OSs to access u have to change the mode to user accounts, which will make ANYTHING u already have on the TC disk unreadable...basically is kills any data u have on it when u change the security mode.

Once u have changed it u should be able to log right in, I did this with a new TC but cannot be bothered at the moment to copy 800GB of the TC and then back again just so I can use it via my MS PC :-|

I found the setting you refer to in Airport. Will changing this make the existing data unaccessible by both Mac and PC (delete everything and restart Time Machine), or by the PC only (PC doesn't need access to Time Machine)?

Thanks for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.