• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iPod Shuffle = Gateway Drug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I was thinking about how I was an avid Apple-hating Windows user and have crossed over away from the dark side in just five months. It all started when my beloved wife asked for an iPod shuffle for Christmas. I tried to convince her the way to go was a Zune, but she had it in her head what she wanted. So being the husband that I am, I made sure her request was fulfilled. I don't really know for sure how it happened, but I think it was the presence of that Apple logo in my home that did it. It carries with it some sort of mind controlling power, I'm sure of it now! But by New Year's day, I was already considering replacing my wife's old Windows machine with an iMac. And by the end of January I not only had made up my mind on the iMac, but had also decided to dump Windows out of my life, as well! So here I am, only five months since I purchased that original shuffle for my wife and now we have two shuffles, an iMac, MacBook, wireless Mighty Mouse (which I don't really care for) and an Airport Extreme. And I'm gearing up to buy a nano for myself because the shuffle just doesn't do everything I want it to do! What I want to know is what happened?

Reaction score
In case you don't know, it's called "The iPod Halo Effect" because many switchers (including myself) bought an iPod first, then thought since the iPod is great, a Mac has to be great too.

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In case you don't know, it's called "The iPod Halo Effect" because many switchers (including myself) bought an iPod first, then thought since the iPod is great, a Mac has to be great too.
Well, whatever they call it, it worked. I'm sold on Apple stuff ... minus the Mighty Mouse ... and have no reason to go back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I agree with you about the Mighty Mouse. I hate them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
You saw the light! That's what happened =P

I <3 Might Mouse... don't really have problems with mine, but I can understand why people hate them =P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
My first taste of Apple was also an iPod Shuffle. (pun intended)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
hmm. i first bought an ipod also. i think your on to something

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
my first was an ipod nano. then came all the other apple products.

i am trying the ipod theory on my girlfriend now. she put a shuffle thru the wash a couple days ago and is all set to get another one. i think it is slowly working

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as the Mighty Mouse goes, I prefer a two-button mouse. I guess it's a hold-over from my dark days but I still prefer to have two separate buttons where I don't have to lift my left finger to right-click. I find that totally annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Mine was a white MacBook the an iPod Video.

Reaction score
Shuffle
->iPod Video
-->iMac
--->Macbook

and convinced:
the parents, cousin, 2 coworkers, wife's best friend to go to the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
As far as the Mighty Mouse goes, I prefer a two-button mouse. I guess it's a hold-over from my dark days but I still prefer to have two separate buttons where I don't have to lift my left finger to right-click. I find that totally annoying.

Lift your left finger? do you mean you only use one finger or that if your left finger is on your mouse it wont let you right click?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV

See, I just lift my finger naturally, so I never even realized it wouldn't work if you kept your index finger on the left side. When I first read that, I thought the person was crazy. Then I spent about 15 minutes trying to right click with my finger on the left side, but to my amazement it wouldn't work. It was actually a little difficult for me to right click with my left finger touching to begin with, so I thought I was accidentally hitting it.

Lift your left finger? do you mean you only use one finger or that if your left finger is on your mouse it wont let you right click?
The latter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.